Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Staying fit while pregnant

Pregnancy is not an excuse to stop exercising. In fact, if you have a normal, healthy pregnancy and the doctor OKs exercise for you, it can be one of the best things that you can do for yourself. Do not use pregnancy as an excuse to sit on the couch and eat chips and cookies all day long. Exercise will help reduce fatigue, swelling, helps you sleep, helps with self image, helps prepare you for labor, and helps you to get your old body back faster after the delivery of the baby. Strength training and cardio are both important while pregnant but remember always check with your doctor first. Let him or her know what type of exercise that you plan to do and make sure he/she is OK with you doing it.

I am continuing to run some but have mainly switched to the elliptical and spinning now. Running is just too much on this little bladder! LOL My goal is 5 days of cardio a week for 30-45 min but lately here during the holidays I have been lucky to have gotten 3 days in and that is about to kill me! I am so ready for my normal routine to kick back in so I can get back on my regular schedule. I am also still lifting weights 4-5 times a week. I decreased my weight on some exercises. I do upper body one day, lower the next and the only exercises that I am avoiding right now are exercises that require me to lie flat on my back. For core strength I do planks, side planks, and standing abs.

Exercise makes me feel 100% better. I know it will help me get back in shape faster after the baby, it helps with self images issues that I have during pregnancy and issues that I think all women have during their pregnancies.

1 comment:

  1. While it’s fine to treat yourself once in a while, if you typically eat fried foods like chicken nuggets or french fries, sweets like cookies, candy bars or pastries or drink soda, you’re getting lots of empty calories. Choose chicken, turkey and fish most often in your Previlean Specialized Dieting Programs.
    Personal Wellness Support

    ReplyDelete